Bharatpur - The 'Eastern Gateway
to Rajasthan',was founded by Maharaja Suraj Mal in 1733 AD,it was
once an impregnable well fortified city,carved out of the region formerly
known as Mewat. The trio of Bharatpur,Deeg and Dholpur has played
an important part in the history of Rajasthan.
Deeg Situated 34 kilometers north to the Bharatpur, is the erstwhile
capital of ruler of Bharatpur, houses splendid fusion of 'Rajput'
and 'Moghul' architectural arts amidst the quintessential rural stretch
of 'Brij' culture in form of a marvel called Deeg Palace. James Fergusson
was mesmerized with regularity and symmetry of renaissance architectural
beauty of Deeg Palace in his writing 'History of Indian & Eastern
Bandh Baretha, is a wild life reserve developed
as a hunting area for erstwhile ruler of Bharatpur. A dam was erected
over course of 'Kakundi' river by Maharaja Jaswant Singh in 1866 AD,which
resulted in a large water lake home to hundreds of species of birds,adding
a gripping touch to the scenic beauty of the lake. There is an old
palace with majestic grandeur in vicinity of the lake raised for luxurious comfort
for royals during their hunting expeditions. The palace is still
a royal property of royal family of Bharatpur. View
Bandh Baretha's bird checklist.
Mathura, the land where Lord Shri Krishna was
born and spent his youth, has today little towns and hamlets that
are still alive with the Krishna legend and still redolent with the
music of his flute. Mathura, a little town on the River Yamuna was transformed
into a place of faith after Lord Krishna was born here.
Vrindavan, a village - once noted
for its fragrant groves, is where Lord Krishna spent an eventful
youth. There are numerous other little spots in the area that still reverberate
with the enchantment of Shri Krishna.